Saturday, June 4, 2011

New beginnings

I recently graduated from college and I am presently faced with a bit of a blank future. I have various jobs to occupy myself with over my self declared "gap year" that is without a foreseeable end, but this is the first time that I have been presented with such openness. It's daunting, as I'm sure many recent grads are experiencing. Currently I just want my life to have a positive impact. To do more good than harm for this world. I hope that I can still maintain this blog and nourish it with the various oddities of experience that I have in store for myself. For now, I'm of to Berkeley to work on an urban farm and then from there to Chicago.

I'd like to actually take this opportunity to tell you a bit about my plans for this upcoming year and hopefully enlist your help. (Assuming someone is reading this blog, which I have my doubts... but I why not try?)

Beginning in August I will be moving to Chicago for a year to participate in AVODAH: The Jewish Service Corps. AVODAH strives to create the next generation of socially conscientious Jewish leaders. In order to achieve this, they have established a program involving three key components:

1. Working: Each AVODAH core member will be working in a different poverty-focused non-profit organization. Specifically, I will be working as an outreach worker for Faith in Place, which believes that faith can inspire environmentalism.
2. Living: I will be living in a house in Chicago along with ten other AVODAH participants. This should be an interesting (and hopefully enjoyable!) experience. Our house will not be the only one though; there are additional AVODAH sites in DC, New York, and New Orleans.
3. Learning: I will be attending weekly seminars, along with my housemates, regarding the intersection between Judaism and social justice. By combining all three-program aspects, I hope to gain a better appreciation for my responsibility to those in need, both as a Jew and as a human being.

AVODAH is an effective and reputable organization. I am amazed by all of the great work they do; however, AVODAH cannot function without monetary support. To that end, I have established a goal to raise $1,000 in donations for AVODAH this summer. Donations to AVODAH help support its 65 core members (myself included!) who will be working in anti-poverty organizations for the following year. This allows the non-profits to fill their staffing needs in a cost-effective manner so that they can continue to help populations in need. Moreover, AVODAH donations allow for the perpetuation of strong-minded Jewish individuals who are actively involved in social change.

If you're able, please donating whatever amount you are able to the cause in my name. Any little bit really does help and is greatly appreciated!
Here is a link to my fundraising page where you can make a secure contribution: http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/leilashooshani/donate

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so grateful for all of your continued interest in my progress and I will happily keep you updated on all my happenings!
With love,

Leila

No comments:

Post a Comment