Monday, February 27, 2012

Escape!

I've been thinking about what it means to escape, whether it is what we are or what it is exactly that we are running from. Many of our most fundamental theological stories are about escape... liberation from slavery or the immanent world. Are we wired to crave escape and if so what purpose does it serve? Escape brings with it the promise of hope, that beyond what is known is something better. We escape from all sorts of things all the time. There's that consequence that seems to come along with escape... the seemingly necessary fact that you are running. We typically feel capable of determining when escape is either a from of cowardice or courage, but what about escaping for escape's own sake?

Head west. Head west. Like those who first ventured that way under covered wagon, I find myself desiring, or rather comepelled, to head west. There is something romantic in the idea; play cowboy or pioneer - a brave adventure, destined for what's better. Perhaps my time in the midwest is meant to be just that, the middle part of my journey. A flight and a big leap...

I'm in the desert in the in between. I've escaped and now all I have are stories and hope. When there is nothing, words create your world-view. The Hebrew word for desert, "Meedbar/ מדבר" as a striking resemblance to "Medaber/מדבר" the word for talking. I also try to read more into the poetic nature of the Hebrew language than might exist, but I'd like to think that the two words are identical for a reason.

The story goes that a lot of those once slaves never made it out of the desert, many even chose to stay slaves in Egypt. As much as there is that part of us that wants to leave there's also the desire for comfort.

The moral of the story is... sometimes escape is the best thing and I think that right now it's the best thing for me. Resist comfort, get out of the desert, rely on others for support!



1 comment: