Sunday, September 23, 2012

Reflections on Desire

[Read the following question in the Carrie from Sex and the City journalism format please...]

In these postmodern times we can find a new richness in meaning to the old tradition of desire?

Okay, so this sort of question is really Carrie Bradshaw's style; however, if prompted I would answer that we feel the pain of want more often and more fiercely today. Whether this does or should permeate and even drive philosophical inquiry is maybe another matter to take up. Desire's particularly interesting character lies in that it is a longing for what is not; the notion that human beings can be so compelled by what isn't is rather extraordinary. My initial reaction however is one of sadness because to know that human existence is driven out of absence comes with a profound feeling of solitude. I find the discussion of the Cartesian ideal about philosophical autonomy relevant here. I don't prescribe to a particular standpoint with regards to an autonomous philosophy; however, it does seem to me that it is possible that philosophy is a way of reaching out towards others from a place of solitude. Perhaps the original lack that we feel is an absence of others and then maybe of an Other, who help to alleviate feelings of solitude by supplanting them feelings of purpose or direction. One of the best ways to ensure a long lasting connection and guard from feelings of absence is to ensure it in the preservation of ideas, the philosopher’s fecundity.

Philosophy is Eros because it is the search for that which will never be realized. Human existence is Eros by nature because we are driven towards that which we will and never could see completed. I believe that there is sadness in this notion and beauty as well. That is, if all that we have created for ourselves has been out of a feeling of lack that can never quite be satisfied. If the absence that we desire is characteristic of the Good and if it's beauty that we are disposed to crave, this picture for me becomes more palatable. In relationship to the idea of solitude, it seems that being able to commune with the Good, this ultimate Other, would be the most satisfactory completion of our desire because it is the lack of the Other's presence that we feel so deeply. It appears that we are searching for a perfection that couldn't possibly be found in the realm of existence, yet it is precisely because we feel its absence so strongly that we know of its possibility.

I am reminded of the Kabbalist origin story told by Isaac Luria. The story goes that in the beginning everything was God and it was perfect; however, if God takes up all the space in the universe, there is no room to create within this God's infinitude. The first act of creation is then an act of retraction. In this negative God space, God places the vessels that contain the elements of creation and into the vessels God puts the divine light. Yet, these vessels cannot contain the divine the light and so the vessels shatter. What is then left are sparks of the divine which are contained within everything. According to this story any act of creation first requires a contraction or absence, yet what motivates this creation is an inspiration via “light”.

Perhaps it is relevant that since I am not a religious person my first intuition upon dealing with God language is to attempt to secularize it. I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing because we often employ difficult words such as God, when we have representations of beauty all around us, though I do think that there is inspiration in our desiring what is un-worldly beautiful. I believe that we're pre-disposed towards what is Beautiful or Good, and that it is able to provide us with a sense of meaning that draws us out from feelings of solitude is wonderful. That we are constantly desiring what is impossibly Good in that it is unobtainable, is even more wonderfully human.

----------------------

This entry is adapted from a response paper I wrote for grad school. Oh yeah, I'm in grad school now for philosophy... anyways, I thought it might work for this blog as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment