Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Revisiting Desire in a Metaphysical Context

Some more thoughts on this subject just because I think it's interesting!

In the way that metaphysics appears as the study of being we can examine that which gives being meaning and possibly call it desire or eros. To talk about that which isn't is simply to talk about a separate but particular reality of influence. I do not have access to eros since that which I most desire is always already out of my reach, in this way we can see an alternative version of metaphysics presented: metaphysics is that which does not claim mastery over reality, but seeks to engage with the reality of experience. It appears that philosophy is transcendent in this way and has something to say not about infinity itself, but our relationship to it via desire. This picture of metaphysics is presented as an alternative to the one painted by what seems to historically be the philosophical approach, at least taken by modern philosophers who sought mastery of the world through the lone self as the “master thinker”. Instead here we are confronted with a self that is lacking and in this lack desperately reaches out towards the infinite in an already failed attempt.

This relates to my initial feelings of solitude as associated with this concept of desire. The notion that that which does not exist could force me into self awareness via an encounter with infinity is quite alarming. Furthermore the idea that we are reaching out towards others who will always be out of my reach in an attempt to answer their call in our own wounded and failed fashion is solitude at its best. There is something poetic in this notion I think, that despite the insurmaountability of it all we are required to keep responding; yet, I wonder if others also see this relationship between philosophy and desire in such a fashion.

What are your thoughts?!

Is desire a condemnation or a blessing? What is the meaning of our efforts? I would be interested in an existential perspective on this question as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting thoughts. In simple terms, I would respond that without desire, we would not have the urge to improve ourselves...the human condition. To have desire, you have the drive to do what is needed to attain what you want.

    ReplyDelete