Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Patterns

Patterns, does anyone take solace in them?

It seems like they just invoke a feeling of a loss of authorship over one's destiny. It takes the magic away from situations that should be unique because they are, but the human mind is designed to detect patterns and so I think we can't help but to notice them. This reminds me somewhat of Aristotle's discussion of relation in his Categories; relatives appear as true correlatives in the world, whereas relations amongst things are derived extra-linguistically via appropriating these two seemingly non-related things. For example when I speak about a head I couldn't expect you to know whose head I mean, yet often relations of this sort are established simply through language. Patterns also seem to be utilizing the category of relation with regards to situational qualities; a memory is never fully present in, well... the present, but there's an added element of what one picks out in a varying situation that recreates that familiar feeling of déjà vu.

Does this mean that what I might perceive to haunting patterns, are actually creations of my representation of certain events within my own mind and thus actually have no basis in reality? Sounds great to me, saves one the trouble of worrying that each experience isn't unique, but a question still remains as to why we feel compelled to form these seemingly unnecessary relations in the first place. Is it all self-inflicted or is there a scientific explanation for the sensation of déjà vu?

Scientific speculations aren't really my specialty (two plus points for alliteration!), but I'll give it a go anyway. Here we go - train of thought style. Patterns, order, meaning, we need to find meaning, but we find a lack of meaning in patterns, things lose their specialness, we want things to be special, do we want things to be special? Yes, everyone wants to be special, that's why we read books and watch T.V, save that for another post Leila, what is déjà vu? it's feeling like you've done something before, we've done a lot of things before, string theory, suspended time, time, ahhh, patterns, don't make the same mistakes twice, personal life, mathematics, patterns are real, how could you ignore that? what about that golden ratio thing, that stuffs crazy, those are patterns, the natural has patterns, life doesn't have patterns, distinction between existents and existence, I've gotten nowhere, I'm just writing this way because I'd like to go to sleep now and this takes less effort than a well thought out blog. Good night! Woah, déjà vu....

Trivia Time!
There's a pattern located within this post, can you figure it out?


1 comment:

  1. I noticed some serious déjà vu going on in the post, but beyond that...I'm lost for a pattern recognition.

    Love the new icon and title!!!

    ReplyDelete