Riding the L feels like I'm flying through the city. Every time we go around the bend the train leans and creeks in such a way that I'm convinced we're about to topple over from the weight of a hundred suits. I marvel at the stoic expressions that we all intentionally place on our faces and wonder why it's appropriate to scream and laugh widely on a ride at an amusement park, but sit there like "it's no big deal" on the train (when in reality we're traveling faster than any ride!). I feel awkward at my taking of a seat, which is almost always (I feel on purpose) not taken by a man. I like getting to know the personalities of my usual conductors; I like the fact that they are vocal enough for me to be able to discover their characteristics. I'm enjoying the commute. It sort of makes me feel like a part of something. That even though I'm having trouble adjusting to a nine to five lifestyle, hey we are all in together!
Camaraderie in the commute. Ain't it the truth?
Life in the city!
ReplyDelete