In my life I've noticed that the weather is often a topic of conversation upon forced chit chat with a stranger or even a newly found friend. "Oh man it's really coming down out there!" or "I can't believe how hot it is!" was all pretty standard fair for Floridians. Since moving to Chicago though, my small talk experience has turned into a bit of an inevitable routine because as I've determined, midwesterners are not only obsessed with the weather, but obsessed by how they are so steadfast in their resilience to it. "Hi I'm Leila," will some how lead to a: "so where are you from?" To which I repily, "south Florida." Then this maniacal smile spreads across their face, as if they've discovered a secret and that secret is the recipe for the best joke ever. "OH!!!!! Florida, well my! Aren't you in for a treat! Do you even have a coat?" I respond with a solemn no and that I am indeed terrified of the winter. "Oh well yah, our winter's are pretty bad, not going to lie. In fact they are pretty horrible." At which point I begin to wonder to myself then why are they still living here? "But you know, they're a bonding experience. HA. Florida. HA!"
I've determined that to the Illinois native my situation is something of a novelty. Sure it seems normal for them to move to Florida, but for me, a person whose spent more time inside hurricanes than in snow, I must be dysfunctional. Their jeers aren't so far off, I really don't have any idea what I'm in for. The consistency of which the weather comes up though makes me feel like I'm in my own personal Groundhog's Day. I'm faced with the same scenario over and over again: "you're going to freeze… you're going to freeze," only so that I can eventually come to terms with my fate and it's only by accepting it am I released from repetition.
So here it goes, in an effort to speed the process along: You midwestern have superior skin, it's tough and thicker than mine. I will be cold and I will hate it. You will be cold and you will love it because you chose to. I don't know if I'll develop that same Lake Wobbegan esque strength. I guess I'll start by buying a coat.
Bought you a North Face! You will be warm while the rest of them freeze trying to impress each other with the lightness of their jackets.
ReplyDeletei like this post, Leila
ReplyDelete