Saturday, June 26, 2010

About Me

I'm of the opinion that it's always good for a writer to provide their background information before commenting on other peoples, ideas, etc. This comes from the notion that we're all biased and anything we produced will also be tainted, so we can at least lesson the slant if we acknowledge our own circumstances. I figure I should provide some biographical tidbits on here, but the truth is I've always been horrible at summing-up my character and life. This is evidenced in the fact that I chose to display the worst poetry in the universe (literally) over some personal descriptors in the blog's "About Me" section. Even when I was presented with the task of writing a paragraph long bio for a club's website I fumbled; I asked for an example. An example?!! Ok fine, I had wanted to include my love of felines in the paragraph, but quickly took that out when I saw that everyone else had included their awards, qualifications, training, study abroad, etc. All of which I failed to include. What was I thinking?(Oh, and I'm president of this organization by the way.) It didn't even occur to me to boast, but that's why I'm a crappy businessperson and do you know what I'm the worst at selling? Myself.

So here we go. This is me? I guess...

My name means "Night - Her Light - from the town of Shooshan." I'm from South Florida and have lived here all my life. I come from a diverse family, my father is a Persian-Jewish-anarchist and my mother is an all American-Lutheran born- Rush Limbaugh lover. I have a younger sister Roxy, we are 13 months apart; I think that we're very close. I was a very strange child, that's something you probably hear a lot, but I mean it. Socially I was very awkward and preferred to reside in my own head. This, for the most part, is still the case. I have a hyper-imagination, but with age I fear its leave. I'm afraid that I think more about what I have to accomplish than a world that I wish could be. I love sleeping because I love to dream, and I usually have awesome dreams; I'm excellent at lucid dreaming as well. I believe in ghosts and don't like to walk around the house at night because of it. I love t.v mostly because it's an escape.

I used to read a lot more fiction when I was younger, but now I hate to admit that I only get to the stuff I'm studying. By the way, I'm studying philosophy. I chose to study it because I thought and still think that it's the only thing I'm good at, and even then I'm only moderately good at it. I took a college intro class when I was 16 and decided then that philosophy was what I was going to study. The next year I went to Boston to take another class in it. In Boston, I realized that I had somewhat quirky interest. I suppose that attending a high school for the arts did not illuminate me to this fact sooner. Oh yeah, I studied film in high school. That was my attempt to translate my jagged thoughts into reality, I considered the experiment overall a failure. So I decided that I needed to attend a university that would speak to my apparent quirks, because I desperately wanted to form meaningful friendships, which are extremely important to me. I care too much for people and so often they don't reciprocate.

I'm shy, but I wear my feelings on my sleeve. I have no emotional filter. This has annoyed men that I have been with. This also annoys people in movie theaters because I freak out at suspense, mimic facial expressions, and flail during fight scenes. I'm relatively confident, but skeptical about the way others perceive me. I'm hyper-empathetic in the way that I feel other people's emotions to the max, but suck at reading the more reserved of them. I have to know what people are thinking and feeling about me, so this can be troubling. I don't like little kids any more than I like playing with a dog. I have trouble relating to them just the same. I love to people watch, I think this comes from my desire yet ineptness at understanding people. I'm overall somewhat lazy with my school work, but I think that's because I've found that I can get by with an only moderate amount of effort. This is changing because life is requiring more effort. I do things too quickly. I'm interested in people. You should respond with your bio....

Oh yeah, I also love cats.

3 comments:

  1. Ha...I guess that's my bio: "American-Lutheran born- Rush Limbaugh lover". You really don't know your old mummy too well dear daughter.

    First, was born Methodist, became Lutheran because I liked it better when I was in junior high. Became Jewish because I liked it even more when I met your daddy. But religion is a really small part of who I am...thought you knew that.

    As for Rush, he's very entertaining. But I listen very rarely. Though I find I agree more often with conservatives than liberals, I really think of myself as a libertarian that supports Republicans (because the Democrats are really just ridiculous).

    Now for the bio you requested:
    Born among the last of the baby-boomers, I feel neither here nor there when I try to relate to the generations. Raised an only child by a single mother, in an era when everyone else had a two-parent family, I always was a bit out of place. When I was young I discovered I loved reading, especially sci fi. This led to an interest in science and I will always regret not following my heart and studying what I loved instead of something I thought I could get a job in. That is why, dear daughter, that I am completely supportive of you pursuing whatever you want to academically, even if I am completely clueless when it comes to what you are studying.

    I did end-up in a career I loved and found very interesting, but was completely done with by the time you girls came along. Though I tried going back for a while, it really wasn't the right thing for me anymore. To be honest, I loved being a stay-at-home mom, being involved in volunteering and raising you and Roxy. Now that you both are grown, I'm going to focus on helping daddy with his business and figuring a way to get to travel more.

    You're right though, bio's aren't easy to write. There's much left unsaid...and maybe what is said can be misconstrued. In any case, I love you and who you are...which is someone very special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that you are much more complex than the small tidbit I included about you, but I was trying to highlight the differences between you and Dad because I think those have had a strong impact on my "bio."
    And Rush was a big part of my childhood, whether or not you listen to him so much now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bio:

    I am a twenty year-old lady (who, by the way, has still not comprehended that she has actually left age 19) sitting in a cubicle reading Leila's blog instead of reading literature on virtual interviewers.

    I was also born and raised in South Florida, but currently reside in a charming, energetic, northern town called Ann Arbor. Unlike my sister, I was afraid to go to a college too small because I tend to be fickle and would probably tire of it quickly. Especially of the people and all their "quirks".

    I was afraid of cats, including my own, until recently, though I have always loved them. I have more dreams about my pets than I do my friends. I have dreamed about Mr. Big, my psuedo-pet, far more than my own boyfriend who owns him. FAR more. Last night, for example, poor little Mr. Big had to power a high-speed wagon and I seemed to be the only one who cared about giving him enough water.

    Anyway, I was also an imaginative child though in a different way than Leila. When we played, Leila was hands-on and building Lego's whereas I came up with stupid stories with my lego-people in the background. In class, however, I did not drift off into my secret world like my older sister, instead, I paid well attention, aside from the moments where I'd giggle with my best friends about cutie boys.

    Plus, unlike Leila, I am *15 months* apart from my kin.

    I have always wanted to be a writer. It's funny because I have never been particularly good at it. I just do it and do it. I have to admit, the obsession was born out of a selfish desire for people to WANT to care about something I say.

    I guess I have often been the side-story, the third-wheel, the shy one, the "oh-Roxy" whose story people do not really want to hear.

    That's why I write and have since I was a kid.

    Maybe I'll make it one day. Probably not.

    I am also majoring in psychology, that's a whole other story.

    I need to eat lunch. I want pizza and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete