It was my turn, my ID was cross checked and fingerprints were taken. I found one of the last seats smack dab in the center of the room, next to a large older man who was spilling out of his tiny chair. He had a gold wrist watch and wore rings on his fingers, judging from his accent and his proclivity towards yelling I figured he was from New York. In front of me was a kid whose name I think is Stephen, he at least looks like a Stephen I went to middle school with. I remember him because I heard about him having a brain tumor in high school, non-cancerous but in a difficult spot to operate... I hope that was Stephen. On my other side was a kid with gel-spiked hair, he was wearing basketball shorts and on the whole he was relatively uninteresting. Behind me were two girlfriends, they wore matching velour track suits. They kept announcing to the room (I should make a point of mentioning, because it is a very important point, that everyone announced everything to the whole room. It seemed like any fleeting concern or attempt at a witty comment had to delivered as if on a stage. I found this really interesting.) Anyways, they kept informing all of us that they had a plane to New York to catch and hoped that the test wouldn’t take to long. “Oh yeah, we just have an internship doing PR for only one of the hottest designers.... Oh you haven’t heard of him? Well he’s really important.” And so I suppose by association they thought they were pretty important too.
Let me tell you about the protectors. Two black women, one very thin the other somewhat large. The thin woman also didn’t capture my interest. She never spoke unless spoken too and seemed on the whole dry. The larger woman, Cecil, was an angel: wise and kind, but stern when her trust was broken. She looked up from her bifocals at us and said in a sceptical voice, “so these are our future leaders?” Some of the kids sat up straighter with pride, I looked around and at myself and giggled. There was something larger at work here, Cecil a black woman acknowledging at that moment this room of privileged white kids may be the “future leaders,” and without her they wouldn’t have gotten there. At the time it seemed poetic, but it was a sad poem.
Here’s what went wrong: no A.C, poor classroom soundproofing, and too many students/not enough tests. The heat and the noise from classes that were occurring in the classrooms next to us had people exclaiming, now this seemed to be a favorite phrase since I heard it over and over again, “Well had I studied the LSAT in the desert with a rock concert going on, then I would’ve been prepared for this! I’m going to complain to the LSAC!” I thought this was a funny comment, but it really seemed resonate with people; “Yeah, that’s right!” Next, the lack of tests and the surplus of test takers caused the test to start late. The poor kids who through off that delicate balance were subject to comments like, “Kick the extra kid out! Hahaha no man, I’m just kidding. But seriously...” Laughter, laughter, laughter. For what is considered a gruelling test everyone appeared to be extremely giddy throughout it.
During the thirteen minute break, (note that the test did take six hours total), everyone compared answers of course. They somehow very quickly figured out which section was the “experimental one” (the one which isn’t graded). I still don’t know how they were able to tell... People ate their snacks, went to the bathroom, chit-chatted about the heat, and everyone had a big smile on their face, even if they were complaining about how poorly their doing on the test. Time was called, break was over. The rest of the test went quickly. Cecil did a dance for us in an attempt for entertainment, it worked.
So what are the conclusions? Well, other than my neck muscles being sore the next day from wrestling that monster of a test, I think that room can be seen as a microcosm for humanity at large. In the face of an obstacle a sense of unity forms, as if together we can overcome anything. We are also able to find humor in some of the more miserable situations – despite their complaints, everyone wore a smile. Natural leaders will arise; those who go out of their way to fix the problems, like telling the classroom next door to shut up. Entertainers will appear given the occasion too, and almost everyone wants to be an entertainers, almost everyone wants to be liked. Finally, authority is followed and the system despite its bureaucratic faults works; and we, Cecil’s flock obey, because that was our role.
No comments:
Post a Comment