What's really strange though, is lying to yourself. It means that you must be tricking yourself because you have to know the truth - or else it wouldn't be called self-deception right? How does the mind block out what it doesn't want to know?! Coming up with a logical proof for that seems difficult...
But back to love. The movie suggested that love couldn't exist without imagination and in some way I think that's correct, but does that mean that all love is imagined? What is love? [Insert corny 90's song and head bob here] Are we really just fooling ourselves into becoming enamored with evolutionarily useless traits? In a way yes, I think love entails a certain amount of self-deception. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's probably the most beautiful thing that makes us human. I may be in a particularly sappy mood (though let's face it, I'm always in particularly sappy mood), but there's something so wonderful in our ability into tricking ourselves into love! It's mystical - the universe would be a bland place to exist if it weren't for our imagination; instead of just being, we thrive! I am equating imagination with lying, but really I do think they are one in the same - we're capable of so many unworldly things (like love, art, story telling, scientific advancements, philosophy etc.) because we can picture what is not.
So to those caught up with the fad of "radical honesty" I say give it up! Sure I can certainly appreciate telling the truth, but really where has the truth ever gotten us?
No comments:
Post a Comment