It's late again, so I suppose I'll share something that just happened to me though it's not much of a "blog."
I saw the movie Toy Story 3 and afterwards I felt compelled to dig through my closet to find Lamby-Poo, my childhood companion. I got her on the day of my birth and she was a constant figure at my side for many of those early years. At some point in middle school I guess I decided I no longer required her company and she was sequestered to away. Last night I found her, smelt her (maybe that's weird, but smell is tied to memory. Scent is VERY important to me), and placed her on my nightstand.
I am in bed now, sitting with my computer on my lap, mucking around on the internet. I picked up Lamby-Poo to examine her further and I find a couple of short black hairs on her. I pull one out, examine it.... it's the hair of my cat Punchie who passed away seven years ago. I also grew up with Punchie, my sister and I used to say he was our brother. He was a kitten and I was a baby when we met... we loved him very much. Well, suddenly it came back to me; the time right before he had died. His hair was strewn on everything, like a cat's does and I was obsessed with preserving the memory of him. I purposely wouldn't clean things off, I filmed him, took pictures, I just wanted to burn his image into my skull. He was the first "person" I had ever lost and so I was trying to prepare myself for the inevitably traumatic experience.
Here mingled with the orange fur of one of my 'new' cats Mr. Numchucks (yes, we have an affinity for odd names in this family) was grayish-black, with white tipped fur of Punchie (full name, Punchenello Funny Fellow). I miss him, he was a good cat.
How the past floods back!
Punchie
oh punch <3
ReplyDeletedo you have any footage of him?
no because it was all on my old computer.
ReplyDeletei do have the original tapes, but theyre hi8 so i need that camera to play them... :(